Fibercore is a market leader in the field of ‘Specialty’ optical fibers. Originally a technology spin-out from the University of Southampton and now celebrating over 30 years in business, we export more than 95% of our production to around 50 countries Worldwide. Our innovative products are used in a diverse range of industrial sectors including aerospace, telecommunications, energy and fundamental research – and have been deployed quite literally from Southampton to Mars!
If you are excited by joining a smaller but successful and ambitious organisation where you will make a difference in defining its future success, we would be very interested in hearing from you.
Reporting to the Product Development and Process Manager, this full-time ‘hands on’ role is responsible for the development and improvement of our products and processes. As well as providing expertise to other Development projects and manufacturing, it will include:
- Fabricating preforms using MCVD method, particularly rare earth doped fibre, polarisation maintaining fibres and other specialty fibres;
- Modifying preform fabrication in order to change its characteristics reliably;
- Drawing preforms into fibre to optimise key parameters;
- Adapting the fibre drawing process for different fibre types and coatings;
- Testing fibre characteristics and interpreting results, including active fibres for amplifier and laser applications;
- Planning and executing engineering projects and development work, often across other disciplines;
- Trouble-shooting and resolving problems when necessary;
- Assisting with improvements to yields, reliability, quality and control.
To be considered for this role, candidates will need a degree in a relevant subject (a higher degree would be advantageous), or significant industrial experience in Optics, and ‘hands on’ experience with optical fibre fabrication. Similarly it will be essential to have:
- Rare earth doped fibre fabrication experience
- Understanding of the chemistry and physics involved in optical fibre fabrication, being able to handle dangerous chemicals safely
- Knowledge and experience of instrumentation, measurement equipment and processes
- The ability to plan, execute and analyse optical fibre systems and projects
- The ability to analyse test results and complex data to suggest viable solutions
- Proven problem solving skills from initial assessment to solution selection, having the ability to identify alternatives and make contingency plans
- The ability to understand project requirements and business priorities, capable of running multiple projects and assignments simultaneously
- Good IT skills in data and project management tools
- Familiarity with technical literature in the field
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
In addition we are looking for someone with excellent time-management, planning and organisational skills who can exercise a high degree of initiative and independent judgment, and who has the ability to embrace change and adapt to altering priorities. Equally, having the ability to foster collaborative working relationships at all levels within the organisation, and with customers, will be essential.
Furthermore, having an understanding of customer fiber applications and experience of providing technical support to customers in a high-tech manufacturing environment would be advantageous.
Interested? If so, please apply with a CV and covering letter to: HR@fibercore.com by 28th June2019
We look forward to hearing from you!log-in to view more.