- Scattering Mechanism
- Second Order Dispersion
- Second Order Susceptibility, χ(2)
- Sellmeier Expressions
- Silicone Coated Optical Fiber
- Slickline Cable/Wireline Cable
- Slow Axis
- Snells Law
- Solution Doping
- Splice Loss
- Spontaneous Emission
- Spot Size
- Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD)
- Step Index Optical Fiber
- Stimulated Emission
- Stress Applying Parts, SAPs
- Superluminescent Light Emitting Diode, SLED
Step index Optical fiber
In the case of single-mode (SM) fibers and a proportion of multimode (MM) fibers, the fiber has a step index profile.
In order to achieve a step index profile, the core is typically doped with a uniform level of germanium.
For pure silica core fibers, a step index profile can instead be achieved by down-doping the inner cladding with fluorine.