Development and Project Engineer
Fibercore is a market leader in the field of ‘Specialty’ optical fibers. Originally a technology spin-out from the University of Southampton and now celebrating over 30 years in business, we export more than 95% of our production to around 50 countries Worldwide. Our innovative products are used in a diverse range of industrial sectors including aerospace, telecommunications, energy and fundamental research – and have been deployed quite literally from Southampton to Mars!
If you are excited by joining a smaller but successful and ambitious organisation where you will make a difference in defining its future success, we would be very interested in hearing from you.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, this full-time ‘hands on’ role is responsible for the development and characterisation of new fiber designs, as well as providing expertise to other Development projects and manufacturing. It will include:
- Performing the full range of optical fiber measurements from the simple to more complex optical fiber and free space, as well as system performance characterisation.
- Analysing results from development fiber characterisation, providing solutions to performance gaps.
- Actively implementing experiments and practical solutions to expand Fibercore’s technical capabilities as the opportunities arise.
- Characterising active fibers for amplifier and laser applications and assisting in developing the next generation of active fibers.
- Simulating performance of fiber designs to develop next generation and custom fiber requests.
- Contributing to our IP portfolio by submitting innovative ideas.
- Preparing high quality technical reports (internal and external) and scientific articles for publication / presentation.
To be considered for this role, candidates will need a degree in a relevant subject or significant industrial experience in Optics and ‘hands on’ experience with optical fiber and optical equipment. Similarly it will be essential to have:
- Experience of working with active fiber for amplifiers and lasers;
- Experience in optical measurements and characterisation, able to analyse test results and complex data;
- The capability of running multiple projects and assignments simultaneously;
- Proven problem solving skills from initial assessment to solution selection;
- Excellent time management, planning and organisational skills;
- The ability to understand project requirements and business priorities;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
In addition we are looking for someone who can exercise a high degree of initiative and independent judgment, and who has the ability to embrace change and adapt to altering priorities. Equally, having the ability to foster collaborative working relationships at all levels within the organisation, and with customers, will be essential.
Furthermore, previous experience of working with optical fibre systems and sensing, having an understanding of customer fiber applications, experience of providing technical support to customers in a high-tech manufacturing environment and knowledge of the fiber fabrication process, particularly MCVD, would be advantageous.
Interested? If so, please apply with a CV and covering letter to: HR@fibercore.com
We look forward to hearing from you!log-in to view more.